Monday, May 09, 2005

9/5/05

A day full of sleep. I woke up at 9am plus to see a doctor. I dragged myself and waited an hr for the doctor. My head was so painful that I kept holding my head with my hands. It was a torturing experience. Its like running 2.4km while sitting down. After I went back home, I ate porridge and Medicine and woke up at 5pm. I still feel like sleeping, so I won't come online later. I need to sleep.

Tomorrow, I still need to go to school for a meeting with our tutor for the FYP. I'm just so dead already. I feel so cold. Been wearing sweater throughout the whole day. How I wish I have 100 blankets on top of me.

I just to sleep. Sorry, my groupmates, I can't read any articles for preparation of tomorrow's meeting.

Slice of Life

Having Serious Fun

In our society, fun has become a scarce and underrated commodity. Sure, we talk about having fun at work, making learning fun, and having fun with our kids but how many of us really deliver? Has it simply become a catchy buzzword that people pepper their speeches with but very few have been able to successfully instill in their work and personal lives?

To many of us, the value of fun is still not convincing enough. It seems too facetious, too frivolous to be having (excuse the oxymoron) serious fun. We love our quotas, profit margins, grades, and progress reports too much. At the office, at home, and at school, do we really feel we can do less and achieve more? One look at the numbers we have to make sends our "fun-o-meter" plunging.

We have to seriously re-evaluate our assessment criteria such that at the office and at school, we can truly and boldly take learning, creativity, and productivity to a new level of fun. These are steps that we can only hope the people-in-charge can make, but what about your personal life? Are there things that you can do to make your life more fun? I knew someone once who told me in a world-weary voice that he didn't laugh anymore.

He remembered a time when he would have lots of fun with his friends, but time and circumstance broke them up and since then, he's been so stressed at work that he's been unable to have fun. He misses laughter so much, yet has no idea how to get it back.

I think we all are in danger of getting into that kind of situation. So many of us spend so much time and energy making a living or ensuring that our quotas and deadlines are met that we hardly have the time to just take a deep breath and clear our mind. I'm sure you can start planning fun activities of your own once you realize just how important it is, but here are some ways you might begin.

Find a theme-based festival such as a comedy festival, food festival, tourism festival, or jazz festival. These events provide hours of excitement for the entire family. The cultural fods, music, and activities at festivals make them well worth the time spent. What about hiking, camping, and fishing? They make great outdoors getaways. Take a break and experience nature in an adventurous way. Include lots of outdoors activities on your fun calendar.

A life without fun or with very little of it will experience burnout. Make fun your priority and the rest will follow. You will find yourself better able to do the other things on your calendar, leading to a more productive, more creative, happier and healthier you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home