Thursday, May 26, 2005

26/5/05

I had to travel to ntu to photocopy some articles for my friends. The bus ride was just so usual haha. Read quite a number of chapters of my novel. But slept on the second half of the ride. Sooo tiring.

I actually had to collect some articles from the door of my fyp tutor cuz he said he won't be around. But, when i returned the articles from under the door, he swung his door opened and greeted me into his room for a little chat. I was just surprised haha. He wanted to catch me before going to IRAs in the afternoon. Its really nice of him. He talked to me regarding the readings and answered any questions I had. A really caring and friendly tutor. Its just too bad that my other groupmates aren't around. 1 head (me) is still weaker than 3.

After that I went to watch movie in Cineleisure. I can't wait to watch the show, My Boyfriend is Type B. Its a korean show. haha somehow that show really brings Guys with bloodtype B to the ground. You know what? I'm type B too haha. Go find out what the show says about type B guys. But something is really funny, I can't remember what happens at the end of the show. I don't know why my memory is just missing in the ending part. If anyone watch it later on, can come here to tell me what the end is? Thankz ah.

After the show, I met up with my friend for Ktv!! Omg, I tried funny songs haha. Many songs that I never tried before, and I really like them. I'll revise my repertoire next time muhahaa. My voice range is getting greater, but then i'm still sounding quite thin at the top range, so need more practice.

SLice of Life

The Importance of Little Things

They say people who think small things don't matter haven't tried to sleep in a room with a mosquito.
Yes, indeed, it's not the size of the thing but the overall effect it has on the situation. The stained walls of a dentist's office might discourage you from seeing him again. An unkind word may sever a friendship. And the tiny missing piece of an ancient parchment may hold the key to the meaning of life.

It's the same at work. Bosses choose which people to give a great assignment to, take a chance on or consider for a project. Customers choose which businesses to frequent. All those little things really aren't so little. They're impressions. And those impressions help others make decisions about you.

Does it matter if you don't spell check your email? It's only an email, right? Wrong. It's an impression about the way you work. Does it matter if the address label is crooked on the letter you send a customer? Who looks at the envelope anyway? It matters. It's an impression highlighting that the company (or individual) has poor attention to detail.

Does it matter if you're habitually late for meetings or don't show up at all? It's an impression about what you think of other people's time. What about a voice mail message saying, "Your call is important to us. Please hold and we'll get back to you shortly."? When "shortly" stretches to five minutes, that little thing is an impression about the real importance of your call and the organisation's credibility.

And don't confuse little things with big things. You can't just do all the little things well and think that's it. Content is king on the internet and television; competence is king in the workplace. The competent performance of your job is central to any winning at working strategy. Second, this is not a message encouraging perfectionism. You can't be perfect. If you try to be, you potentially limit yourself and get lost in those little things. Third, some people have a talent for details and noticing little things. But everyone can learn.

Start by noticing those little things which create an impression on you. Little things like your name is misspelt on an invitation; or the staff readily and cheerfully gives you more chili sauce when you ask for it. What about when the delivery man arrives at the designated time? If you're not paying attention to the little things, you're losing opportunities or business. If you want to be winning at working, you have to pay attention to little things, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home