Monday, August 15, 2005

15/8/05

I am finally able to proceed at normal pace after completing tutorials 2 weeks in advance. Now I have time for my FYP and tomorrow is one full day on it unless last minute things come up.

Today, someone from my class called me "god" in terms of work. I told her, i'm a worker, not a genius. To be able to match up with the pace of another friend who is in the same project group, I must work double hard. That other friend happens to be a genius with super great ability in on-the-spot thinking. I don't have it you see. Preparation, think and rethink becomes a necessity for my own survival.

I went for a career seminar on how to prepare for career talks and tea sessions. Somehow, I think i'm not up to the standard to really outshine other people during these kind of occasions. You have to be outspoken and daring. Compared to SMU people, I just I lose out big time on this aspenct, as pointed out by the speaker herself. I can only prove to people with my working ability. I can't talk my way through to make people notice my presence. Is that a help sign I'm portraying? I guess so. Rounds and rounds of interviews just to get a job?? Thats crazy if you ask me. I'll rather work low and start low. When I build my reputation, thats when people look for me. Let work performance be my winning indicator, and let no ill remarks mark me down.

My first step to venture out into the business world would be from the NTUC BEST challenge. My aim is to win actually. I've been telling people, i just want to experience it. ITs because I don't want to put stress on my groupmates for my own desire. They are all great team mates from different disciplines. Banking and finance, Accountancy, and HR. A well balanced team with a all rounded view. Too bad, first round is to challenge between ntu participants. I can't wait to trash people from other Universities!! I will win, you just watch it. (don't laugh when i lose in first round hor) haha

Slice of Life

Happy Being AloneWhat's wrong with being single?

Well, a whole lot, if you go by what you see and hear around you. Whether you watch TV, go to the cinema, or listen to friends and family, messages promoting couplehood prevail. Visit any bookstore and you'll find dozens of books about relationships; how to keep them together, how to grieve the loss of a loved one, how to find and keep the "perfect" mate, how to satisfy your lover sexually, and the list goes on and on. Rarely will you find books on being single unless they relate to healing some aspect of yourself in preparation for a relationship.

Society expects every man and woman to wed, preferably before the age of 30, and to have at least one child (two is perfect). Even though the term "old maid" is no longer politically correct, many still respond with surprise if an older woman remains unhitched. Single women are supposed to date regularly. If not, friends, family, and coworkers love to set singles up with blind dates (and we all know how satisfying those are). It's practically screaming at us from every corner - it's not okay to be alone.

Now don't get me wrong; being in a loving relationship has its benefits, no doubt about that. And the future of the human race hinges on our ability to reproduce at a steady rate. There is nothing wrong with being in a relationship. But there is nothing wrong with not being in relationship either. Singles are not undesirable, immoral, child-loathing social recluses with toxic personalities. Many singles lead perfectly happy, fulfilling lives by choice.

Besides, not all relationships are dandy. Couplehood can be marvellous as long as there is mutual respect and some communication and conflict-management skills. Unfortunately, few relationships share all of these characteristics, leaving many people unhappy.

Being single can be a rejuvenating experience. It gives us the opportunity to discover who we are, what we do and don't like, how we deal with things, what we want out of life, what our expectations are, what our potentials are, and what energizes and empowers us. By learning to love and care for ourselves, we don't have to hunger for someone else to fill the void in our souls; a void that only we can truly fill. The purpose of entering into a relationship should be to share oneself with another person as opposed to trying to get from someone what is lacking in ourselves.

So if you're single, why not make the most of it? Enjoy yourself! You can be alone and happy and successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home