Monday, August 08, 2005

8/8/05

Ah, i remember something that I missed out on yesterday's blog. I realised that my "wife" in Westwinds knows me the best. She communicates effectively and can face important occasions. I could express at my very best with her around. How beautiful can she be? Till death we will part.

Today, I went for 2 meetings. One lasted 1.5 hrs, the other lasted about 3.5hrs. I realised another thing (i keep realising things). My AA205 grp made me see the difference between genius and a hard worker. That genius who I respect really amazed me with his thinking and on the spot analysis. Its really something that I couldn't match up to. Naruto tells me that Hardworker can one day beat genius. Will I be able to? I'll try. But I won't be fighting in school of course. The genius and I are still team mates. Compliment each other currently. I hope to learn as much from him as possible.

I just did a tutorial. Haha I can't imagine analysing on a case about X box. This is totally in my interest and I really wrote alot of things on the gaming arena. Haha, it helps when you are damn interested in a certain industry. I wonder when would a case be on the classical music industry.

Slice of life

Modern Leaders (Part 3)
In this programme, we continue to talk about the evolution of modern day leaders.

The new leaders of today do not simply guide their team. They also facilitate - they foster environments which are conducive for potential and possibility. These conditions allow people to share information, form trusting relationships, and take time to think.

A good leader understands that the process of change is much more than the physical or cosmetic change that takes place - the adoption of a new logo or tagline, the moving of the office, the re-organisation of the work process. The leader understands that the most important dynamic is the underlying emotional transition of identity that accompanies change. The leader realizes that a time of confusion and wandering is necessary and that great creativity is possible if people feel and move through the emotions of transition.

The leader is comfortable with emotions - as a facilitator, the leader confronts, empathizes, challenges, and acknowledges. He receives feedback without defensiveness and provides feedback without alienating others. Leaders share their mistakes, shortcomings, and experiences. The facilitator keeps minority views alive and avoids premature consensus. The desire for consensus is what often paralyses change or genuine evaluation.
Very often, the new leader functions as a colleague, and sets a model example of skills for the group so that all can work towards becoming facilitators of change.

The leader listens, questions, and seeks to be jolted, taught, and guided. All this he welcomes without feeling threatened; this is one of the true hallmarks of a great modern leader. He shows that he needs others but is not overly dependent.

Robert Greenleaf, author of Servant Leadership, wrote that we do not need more technical knowledge today but strong ethical leaders who will raise moral standards in a time when much of leadership is corrupt and incompetent. These leaders will "know experimentally" what is right and will have the courage to follow that course through the chaos of the age.

The hope we want for our future lies within each of us. The challenge is for each of us to be all that we can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home