Friday, August 05, 2005

4/8/05

Another super long day. I've brought it to myself, so I shouldn't complain... But i just want to.

The school lessons was ok for me, just a little tired. Then I travelled from school back to home, then from home to amk, then from amk to NUS. I actually played with the band today during this freshies day. I don't know if i should continue going cuz workload is starting to get heavy.

Somehow, I got this feeling of challenging myself to manage the workload. It will be the same during the working life when I have to juggle between family, music and work. Learn now so that I won't have a very tough time later.

Anyway the band was very big today. They didn't sounded bad at all. The conductor is energetic and fun. However, as I have complained about many bands, the trombones are just not soothing to my ears. Maybe i would feel better if the trombones were to sit somewhere far from me instead of behind me.

Slice of Life

Modern Leaders (Part 1)

The great leaders of history - Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Mao Zedong - most of them, if not all, ruled with heavy hands and arrogant hearts. Their ability to motivate and galvanise lay in the projection of themselves as giants among men, stout and unwavering.

These days though, the image of the ruthless and decisive leader is archaic and fast losing favour and efficacy. In an increasingly modern and educated world, people are discovering and capitalising on their unique strengths. The fast-globalising world also gives them unprecedented mobility. The true leaders of today need more than just charisma and brute force.

Modern leaders choose humble service to a great purpose over greed and selfishness. Their every action is congruent with the purpose and highest values of the whole, even at personal cost. Making a difference matters - not just making a buck or a false impression.

Leaders of such character and calibre are what's needed to drive this new age. These new leaders choose service and sacrifice over selfishness because they care about things outside of themselves. Leader and follower share the search for meaning, and the desire to make a worthy contribution to life.

The new leaders are compassionate and understand that one has to love people to lead them. And this love for people will foster motivation and respect no amount of financial incentives or punishment can ever achieve. The new leader understands that it's people, not machines, who meet competitive challenges. He realises that the business exists to provide meaningful work and opportunities to learn and grow for employees, as well as to provide a product or service for customers, and financial returns for investors.

In a world of cynicism, deception, and slick self-promotion, it's difficult to spot such leaders. If you're in a supervisory position, how far have you come in terms of becoming a truly modern, visionary leader?

True leaders help others be the best they can be. Join me in the next programme when we'll continue to talk about the evolving nature of leaders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home