Thursday, October 06, 2005

6/10/05

Today is the most exciting day in this semester. Whole loads of activities, meetings and work done. Come to think of it, I was able to manage things psychologically even though my to-do list is so long that it might just take a week for one to finish. I can't.... only a few days deadline for everything. Lets see what i've did today.

Morning, 2 hrs tutorial for 311, had fun, and laughed alot with my friends. Their witty comments has always triggered laughters in my heart.

At 10:30am. I have to admit, I went for early lunch when my 205 grp mates are waiting for me to go for meeting. Ahhh it completely slipped off my mind. But the meeting was a fast one, where they just told me to handle the intro part.... cool. My favourite... intro. haa. I guess I've been practicing so much on starting a presentation, I might have problems presenting the middle parts haa. Guess what then.... 205 presentation, ES104 presentation, GV01 presentation, I'm on the intro part. Fun? ha

Then I went to access lab at 11.15am to do my ES104 portfolio minutes and ppt slides for my part of the presentation. Took me about 1.5 hr. Wanted to escape from 311 meeting haa but my conscious bugged me. So i msged them, and my friends are all doing it. So I met them and did some of my part.

That 311 meeting ended with more work needed to be done individually. Then its 206 meeting at 3 plus (lose track of time). Did some number crunching and some funny arrows inclusion in my ppt slides. Must be some funny ideas from this friend haa. Arrows.... and we miss interpreted the arrow idea and came up with a funny design. This so call meeting ended at 4.30pm.

Next, I proceeded to Main library where I met with my fyp group. Somehow I could feel the cohesiveness in this group. The positive attitude from my group members is essential for the survival of this difficult research project, especially when I'm pretty negative most of the time. We sent Chapter 3 part 1 to our tutor. Now awaits his reply.

Finally, a half an hr's break before networking night starts. So, the genius was the MC of the event. Super skills and humour. Attractive pose and manly voice. I believe he mesmorised all the ladies present at the event.

Well, I've spoken to representatives from all the big 4 firms, and true enough, as pointed by the partner in D&T, all the firms are about the same. The difference lies in the culture. Well, i'm pretty attracted by the way the D&T partner speak about his firm. Of course, other firms are impressive as well. But for me, I'm definitely going to aim for PwC. I will strive for my best performance during the internship and prove to them that I am THE candidate for their firm. But if suay suay I couldn't stay on, D&T might just be my second choice. EY third, and KPMG forth. I'm just so disappointed with myself that I only gotten 2 name cards from the people i have spoken to. Its my first time taking part in such event, what can i do? haa. But its a super super good experience.

I should say "PwC!! here i come!!"

Slice of Life

Stop the Bickering

Interaction with other human beings is something none of us can avoid. Not that we would want to, either. Satisfying relationships are essential for our mental well-being.


Presumably, since relationships are such a big part of our lives, we should all want to know how to effectively cultivate them. How can we increase the value of our relationships with people whom we love and care about?


Well, there is no tested and proven method for nurturing rewarding relationships. Everyone is different - they react differently to various stimuli, they value things differently, they see the world in different ways. That's why the often-used "Golden Rule" - which is to treat people as you would like to be treated - doesn't hold much water.


If you treat everyone the same way, or treat them the way that you would like to be treated in a relationship, you're not likely to achieve much depth in your relationships. It's probably a good rule to use when dealing with people whom you don't know very well, but if you want to deepen the relationship with someone, Dr Nate Booth advocates The Diamond Rule, which basically says "Treat others in the unique way that they want to be treated".


You have to first discover what people really want and then you have four choices: You can give it to them in expected and unexpected ways.


You can educate them. Maybe there's just no way you can do what they want and the way they want it. You can negotiate. Or you can change the relationship. If you can't deliver what they want, you may need to make some changes, or maybe decide not to be in the relationship.


It's important to understand that people want emotions. They want feelings. They don't want money and they don't want "stuff". In fact, they don't even want relationships. Rather, people want what the relationship is going to give them, emotionally. What the money is going to give them. Or what the snazzy personal digital assistant is going to give them.


You can find out what people want by observing them and asking questions. Then realise that you're dealing with people's emotions, and you can arrange the relationship so that the person feels he or she is getting what's most important in life and in the relationship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home