Monday, March 14, 2005

14/03/05

I think I've recover my mental state, after being drowsy for quite a long time because of the medicine i take. Did i say before that I love to eat drowsy medicine? It makes me less aggressive, less panicky, less anxious, less paranoid. I guess I just need ample rest after all that terrible stress from friends and tutors and projects. Some people are really quite insensitive, so I could only tell myself that people are all different, and so accept them as the way they are. True. I should do that.

The turning point for my mental state was surprisingly due to a good friend, once close but far now. Perhaps I could say, you saved my life. Hope to talk to ya again if theres chance. To be frank, some things changed while others didn't. Anyway, you must lead a happy life.

Lessons, projects, meetings are just so common these days. Couldn't find time for anything else. Why do I need time? Time to give myself some space. Has anyone consider that the efficiency brought upon by technology has actually caused human to have less time? Well, its for you to think about it.

Talk about projects, I actually completed my part for a project but had to redo because of a wrong analysis. I can't believe it. That is why i need more time too. Die. haha.

Slice of Life

Toss The Starfish!

There is an old story that tells of a man walking along a beach who catches sight of another man acting strangely. As he gets closer, he notices that the man is picking things up from the sand and throwing them into the water.

Upon reaching him, he sees the objects being tossed are starfish, stranded on shore by the retreating tide. Curious about his intentions, the first man asked, "What are you doing?"

"I am saving these starfish," he replied. "They won't survive in the sun until the tide returns."

Totally taken aback by this statement, the first man said, rather indignantly, "Aren't you being a little silly? Do you not realize how many hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of starfish there are in the sea and that by throwing a few back will make absolutely no difference?"

The second man said nothing but was unfazed. He picked up yet another starfish and threw it out into the waves. Then he looked back the first man and said, "Well, it made a difference to that one."

In a world where we witness injustice, misfortune and hatred almost on a daily basis, it's easy for us to see our lot in life from a jaded point of view. We learn to accept the notion that we, as individuals, have no real control and that in the bigger scheme of things, what we do doesn't really matter. As a result, we tend to retreat emotionally and psychologically, so as not to deal with the things we believe are out of our hands.

But when we do try to make a difference, no matter how small, two things happen. Firstly, we feel good about ourselves. Being a positive force in this world helps us find meaning and focus. Why does it feel so good making others happy? I'm not sure, but somewhere in that question may lie the key to understanding why we're here.

The second thing that happens is contagion. When we demonstrate our faith and will to make a difference, no matter how small, we turn on something in others. In them, a tiny light is sparked. They may be inspired to do the same. And if enough people catch this fire, we can truly change the world.

So, to the nurse who may be feeling that saying a kind word won't make a patient's day, to the man on the street who may be thinking "a donation of a few cents can't help much", and to the teacher who may be disheartened by the fact that a lot of extra time and effort will be required to simply help a few more weak students pass one paper, take heart. Your work is appreciated, and what you're doing will help motivate others do the same. You are making a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home