Tuesday, March 29, 2005

28/03/05

I..... have no mood to add anything. Btw, tremors felt in Singapore. I felt it too. For a moment, I thought I got giddy because i work too hard. Nope, I'm dreaming. It was the tremour.

I give up on myself.


Slice of life

Don't Let Your Mind Hold You Back

Do you often think to yourself "I would like to do that" but another thought immediately follows - "But I don't think so". You don't think you have the ability, don't have the money, your parents would disapprove, your friends would laugh at you, and so on.

But it's really none of those things. It's only your mind that's holding you back. It's your inertia that wants you to remain in a safe arena, instead of going out there and making things happen. We all have the potential to succeed in life and do great things. What we don't know we can learn. What we can't afford we can earn. And don't fall into the common trap of allowing how others perceive you to interfere with your goals.

What we see as obstacles are often put there by ourselves; put there by our minds. And our minds were shaped by our history, our experience - the way we were raised, the area we lived in, the schools we went to, the first jobs we had, the friends (or enemies) we encountered, the people we idolised (or feared). All these contributed to our way of being.

What you do now can be traced to your past. In response to various stimuli, we learnt various behaviours, ways of, we thought at the time, "protecting" ourselves. Those ostensible "safeguards" are now shackles that encumber us.

So how do we overcome the restraints that our minds place on us? Well, first, you have to stop thinking. That's right, in order to teach your mind to stop feeding you those crippling thoughts, we first have to cripple your mind.

Instead of following a path that is run by your head and what you think you ought to do, go with your feelings. Do what you feel is right. Don't let your mind hold you back. Awaken your feelings. The stronger your feelings towards a particular action the more you overcome the filter on your brain.

How do you know you have the right feeling? How do you know you are on the right path? Simple.

When you are on the correct path and doing what is right for you, you feel great. Everything appears to be in sync. You may be doing something for hours and it feels like minutes. Your face is all aglow. You're really enjoying yourself. In short, you stop evaluating what you are doing and have started to do things you never thought were possible. You are performing naturally, everything is "right".

As Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank once said, "I realised that I really created my own obstacles in life, and if I just got out of the way of myself and let my mind not hold me back, I could do things I never thought I could."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home